Why Give So Much Away?
Got that question a lot this time, more than any other campaign we have done, although I must admit, that question is pretty normal for our campaigns.
If a person does a $5 pledge to get an early copy of RESCUE TWO in electronic form, as I write this they get ten more books and nine workshops worth $1,350.00. But that is about to jump one more goal to eleven books and ten workshops.
Why do this? Why give so much away? Two major reasons, actually.
First, this is a campaign for my new Seeders novel RESCUE TWO. It stands alone, but gives a good sense of the other eight books in the series. Plus the other ten books are samples of my short fiction, samples of other books in other series, and so on. You see, I am very prolific. I fill my own monthly magazine every month. I am a writer. And I will continue to write in most, if not all, of these series.
So readers who are coming to this campaign (and writers as well) might actually sample some of my work when given ten books total extra. And might want to read more. This is the idea behind BookBub as well. Get readers to read one and they will hopefully buy more. I have no expectation that a reader will like all ten books. But I can hope they will like a few enough to buy more, and that is long term investment for me. Also remember, there are no real costs to WMG once we have the first ebook out for sale on any of these ebooks.
Second reason is about why we give so much value in workshops away. First, let me mention costs. Our costs on these is Kris and my time to put them together and my time to record them. Once that is done, there are no other real costs. But in putting these together, we learn, so that is a win. We don’t do workshops that we don’t learn in the process of doing them.
We also have a desire to pay forward since so many major professional writers helped us in our early days and we can’t pay them back, so we pay forward to new writers. Some writers can’t afford to buy workshops at full price or half price, so they must skip a major way of learning. Any writer can afford $5. So we are helping writers. Of course, we would never make these stretch rewards if writers and readers didn’t take larger rewards. So, in essence, all of you are helping pay forward to writers that can’t afford more than $5 for workshops. Without all of you taking larger rewards, we would never be able to do this.
If I was not prolific and didn’t have almost 500 different books in print, we would not be able to do this. If we hadn’t built the largest professional fiction writing school in existence, with over 300 different classes of various types and focuses to help writers of all levels, we would not be able to do this. If we did not want to help both readers and writers move forward, we would not be doing this either.
But more than anything, it is thanks to all you backers who help us do this. If everyone just took the $5 level, this campaign would not have even funded, let alone hit stretch goals. So thank you all. I can’t begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.
So now to the details here in this last few hours of the campaign.
Ends on Thursday at 7 pm West Coast Time.
Only eighteen hours to get the two special workshops, or deals on other workshops, or great deals on a bunch of my books. Just not much time left.
Yesterday we hit the 10th Stretch Goal. And we are close to hitting the next one. But right now hitting 10 Stretch Goals means any backer of any reward gets the following extra books and Pop-Up writing classes on top of whatever award they took.
- A Billion Earths: A Seeders Universe Collection
- Life of a Dream: An Earth Protection League Novel
- Ball of Confusion: An Earth Protection League Novel
- The End Might Be Interesting After All (short story collection)
- Time for Cool Madness: A Marble Grant Collection
- A Case for Aliens (short story collection)
- Playing a Hunch (A Poker Boy collection)
- The Big Tom (A Pakhet Jones novel)
- Card Sharp Silver (A Cave Creek novel)
- The First Year (A Marble Grant novel)
Writing classes on Teachable (valued at $150 each)
- Pop-Up #70: WORLD BUILDING INSIDE OUR SOLAR SYSTEM
- Pop-Up #71: WORLD BUILDING INSIDE OUR LOCAL GALAXY SECTOR
- Pop-Up #72: WORLD BUILDING INSIDE OUR FULL GALAXY
- Pop-Up #73: WORLD BUILDING ON A COLONY PLANET
- Pop-Up #74: WORLD BUILDING IN NEAR FUTURE SCIENCE FICTION
- Pop-Up #75: WORLD BUILDING IN FAR FUTURE SCIENCE FICTION
- Pop-Up #76: WORLD BUILDING IN HISTORICAL SCIENCE FICTION
- Pop-Up #77: WORLD BUILDING IN ALTERNATE WORLD SCIENCE FICTION
- Pop-Up #78: WORLD BUILDING IN A SPACESHIP
So that is ten extra books and $1,350 in writing classes for all backers. Help us pass the word.
Only 18 hours or less left. Time is running out.