Challenge,  On Writing,  publishing

Ghost Novel: Day 2

As I said in the previous post, I’m going to have one post per day here for the “ghost” novel writing process that I was hired by a New York publisher to do. I am aiming for 7 to 10 days to finish this novel. I can give ZERO hints about the content of the book, so please don’t ask. I am only talking about the writing process and my day around the writing process.

I will add to this post at different times during the day right up until I head to bed so you can follow the process.  At the end of each post I will add up the daily word count and project word count. You want to see what a professional writer’s day is like, I’ll put a post up here every day until this book is done.

I would start reading from Day 1 and read the comments under that day as well for a ton of answers to questions.

Day one total word count was 7625 words.  So now on to day two.

Day 2: Entry 1:

1:15 PM… Rolled out of bed and by 1:45 PM I had my breakfast bars and was answering my e-mail and comments on Day 1 of this. Some good questions. Make sure if you are following this to read the comments and my answers on each day.

2:40 PM now… About one hour of email and comments. About normal for me. Now off to do the first session or two. Back later with another entry in this day.

Day 2: Entry 2:

3:30 PM… I got about 700 words done in the first session, then Kris and I headed off to get the mail and have a quick lunch. Kris is in the last third of a new Kris Nelscott Smokey Dalton novel, so this house is great fun at the moment, since I’m living in this book and she’s living in 1970 Chicago. (grin)

4:40 PM… Back from lunch and back to work.  Got about 1,000 more words done before needing to take a break at 5:50 PM. The ocean outside my window is flat and it’s a beautiful day here on the Oregon Coast. The sun is reflecting off the ocean and making this office heat up even though I have the window wide open, which the cats love. But makes it hard to type at times, let me tell you. (I know, tiny violin. (grin))

I answered some e-mail and then some comments. It’s now 6:15 PM and I’m headed back to my writing computer for another session before naps with Walter White Kitty (Or as Kris is now calling him, the Waltese Falcon) before dinner.

Total original word count so far today 1,718 words.

Day 2: Entry 3:

7:05 PM… I managed to get almost another thousand words from 6:15 PM.  Then I took a break, grabbed the big fluffy white guy and headed for the basement for a nap. Kris woke me and the cat at 7:30 and we ate in front of the news. I did the dishes and headed back to my office.

8:30 PM… Answered e-mails and a number of questions in the comments. And wrote this far in this entry. It’s now 8:55 and with a cup of tea in hand I’m headed back to my writing computer. Window over the ocean still open and the ocean air smells wonderful tonight.

Total so far today around 2,700 words.

Day 2: Entry 4:

9:50 PM… I managed another 700 words. Slower than the other sessions because a new viewpoint character decided he/she needed to talk. Sigh. Had to create the character and that’s just slower to start.

Then after 700 words I decided I needed a break and headed up to the WMG offices to work on sorting some collectables and organizing some stuff up there. I got back here about 10:50 and made myself another cup of tea and got a snack and am heading to the writing computer again.

So by 11:00 PM the day has managed around 3,400 words. About on pace.  I’m feeling fine as well, not in the slightest bit tired. So far this has not been a strain in the slightest. Tomorrow may be another matter. (grin)

Day 2: Entry 5:

12:10 AM… I managed yet another thousand words or so from 11:00 PM. Ran right into a touch scene, stopped cold. So I went downstairs and watched a show with Kris in the media room. Now I feel like going at it again.

It’s 1:20 AM and I’m headed back to the writing computer.  Back later for one final Day 2 update and the totals so far at that point.

Day 2: Entry 5:

2:10 AM… I  finished another 1000 or so words from  1:20 until 2:10, then took a break. Got back to the writing computer at 2:30 AM

3:50 AM. I wrote pretty much straight through from 2:30 with only a minor break to move around. Then I flat ran out of gas. Brain said “Got to bed.”  But I didn’t type that. (grin)

Me and the white cat are headed downstairs to veg on television for a short time before heading to bed.

My daily word count is 7,734 words for Day #2.


Day #1… 7,625 words

Day #2… 7,734 words

Total so far… 15,359 words.

On pace and on target, which surprises me, to be honest. I am always slower up front, so if I follow pattern I will pick up more words by Thursday or Friday and maybe even finish it Friday or Saturday.  We shall see. Lots of slips between here and there. (grin)

See you all for Day #3…